Living with cancer

Employment advice

You may be concerned about your employment rights and how to tell your employer about the diagnosis of cancer. Workers have clear rights that employers must respect, and there are a number of sources of support and advice if you have worries about your job.

If you have to take time off work your employer may have a 'sick pay' scheme. You should ask about this or look in your contract of employment. You are entitled to statutory sick pay (SSP) for 28 weeks in any one period of sickness however to claim it you must tell your employer you are unwell within 7 days of becoming ill. After 28 weeks of receiving statutory sick pay, you may be entitled to other state benefits such as Incapacity benefit.

For more advice contact your local social security office, a social worker, a solicitor or your Citizens Advice Bureau. If you are a member of a Trade Union, they will also be able to give you advice and represent you if you have any difficulties. You can find out more about benefits and financial support available by visiting our Financial help section.

There is additional information for carers  in our Work and caring section