Living with cancer

Personal relationships

It can be a difficult time when you or someone you care about is trying to deal with cancer. Sometimes the physical and emotional effect of cancer and its treatments can affect personal and sexual relationships.

Your doctors or nurses should be able to discuss any problems or worries you may have. If it is difficult to talk to them, you can ask for help from a trained counsellor, psychologist  or therapist who can talk to you privately.

You can also find out more about how to cope with problems caused by a particular cancer by visiting the relevant Cancer type section of this website.

You may find there is practical advice and help from support groups in your area. It is also important that partners, family and friends get the help and support they need. There are groups, organisations and publications available that can help.

If you have been affected by cancer in some way and would like to talk to someone about what you have read or need help finding information - you are welcome to drop into any Maggie’s Centre or to visit Maggie’s Online Centre and talk with a cancer support specialist.