About cancer

Other professionals in cancer care

There are many different professionals invovled with providing cancer care. The list below explains the role of some professionals that may be involved in your care. If you are unsure of their role please ask them to explain.

Cancer Information Staff
Cancer information staff come from a variety of backgrounds and provide information and support often from a cancer information centre.

Clinical psychologists
Clinical psychologists help people cope with emotional and personal matters (there are also psychiatrists and mental health nurses working with the psychological aspects of cancer).

Counsellors help people make sense of their feelings and offer emotional support.

Dieticians give advice and information about diet and how to deal with some of the dietary effects of cancer and treatment.

Hospital chaplains
Hospital chaplains are happy to help anyone, whether they are religious or not, and can put you in touch with ministers or leaders who are relevant to your beliefs. Most hospitals have a chapel and many have a pastoral centre. Local churches and religious groups can also offer support and practical help. 

Occupational therapists
Occupational therapists (OT’s) help people live independently after their illness, offering practical and psychological support.

Pharmacists are experts in medication. They provide prescriptions and give advice on taking medicines and possible side effects.

Phlebotomists are specialised clinical support workers who collect blood from you, for examination in laboratories, to help diagnose illness. They may also take bloods during and after treatments to monitor your progress.

Physiotherapists help patients regain strength and mobility after treatment.

Radiographers take x- rays and perform many different scans and treatments. Therapeutic radiographers plan and deliver radiotherapy treatment, working with clinical oncologists. If you have radiotherapy treatment radiographers can be a good source of information and support.

Social workers
Social Workers can talk to you and your family about your emotional or physical needs. They can help you find practical, emotional and financial support, including advice on welfare benefits (most social workers are employed by social services but some are also employed by the NHS).

Speech and language therapists
Speech and language therapists help people with speech and swallowing problems.